Friday, February 20, 2009

Oscars... For The Ladies


Only a couple more left after this, which I'm holding off on in hopes of still seeing 'Frozen River' and 'Rachel Getting Married' before the Oscars...

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Marisa Tomei in 'The Wrestler'
Viola Davis in 'Doubt'
Amy Adams in 'Doubt'
Taraji P. Hensen in 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'
Penelope Cruz in 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona'

THE NOMS: I like 'em. No complaints at all. All the women were great, and I got to see Marissa Tomei parade around topless. What's to complain about?

WHO SHOULD WIN: A really tough call. All the performances were great, but we can narrow them down with some quasi-logic. Tomei showed too much skin to win -- strippers don't win Oscars. Davis and Adams will split votes from 'Doubt'-lovers (not really, but it sounds good). Cruz and Henson were the meatier of the roles, so I'll call it two-horse race. It's not much more than a coin flip, but I'll go with Hensen, just because she gave 'Button' its badly-needed heart.

WHO WILL WIN: I mentioned earlier that I disagreed with Nate Silver on one category, and this is it. He likes Hensen, and she was great. But I'm going with Cruz.

No comments: