Wednesday, February 11, 2009

WTF?!


Remember how Roberto Alomar went from being really good to really bad in like 15 seconds? Well, we might've found a pretty good explanation. It's hard to maintain a .300 average when you have FULL BLOWN AIDS!!!

Are you kidding me? I can't believe this hasn't come out yet. How does a future Hall of Fame-type player get full-blown AIDS, have to leave the sport abruptly, have his skin turn purple, foams at the mouth, gets sores on his face, and reveals he was once raped by two Mexican men after a minor-league game, the media completely misses it until now? Are they so wrapped up in the steroids no baseball fan I know cares about, that they didn't have five minutes to spare in the last three years to run down a teeny, tiny little story about all-time great who's career was derailed by AIDS, was warned by team doctors of this, and insisted on not getting tested?

Nice going, Mainstream media! Pedro Gomez should've been all over this one. Of course, that's easy for me to say -- an unemployed guy sitting on the floor in his boxers, paging through Alomar's stats on baseball-reference.com to find the exact moment when the AIDS set in (I'm going with 2002).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have dealt with a fair number of HIV/AIDS patients in my short career (I worked at an HIV clinic for several months) and you would not believe the stigma attached to it by some cultures. People get abandoned by their friends and loved ones if the diagnosis is revealed. I am not all that surprised that a hispanic "man's man" refused to get tested and if the story is true, managed to conceal his condition from the media.

Kevin

Josh von Awesome III said...

I guess I'm just surprised because we've heard rumors before of athletes having AIDS -- whether it was true (Greg Louganis) or not (Walter Payton) -- and in at least one case, the story being leaked to the media forced an athlete (Arthur Ashe) to admit it publicly. But the argument could be made that all those guys were bigger names than Alomar, who may have been far enough from the spotlight to keep it under wraps (at least until now).