Monday, February 23, 2009

Near Perfect


If you were following my Oscar predictions, and didn't put some money on them in Vegas or with your bookie, then you missed out. I went 7 of 8 on the major awards, missing only Sean Penn. I was pretty sure about Mickey Rourke, but Hollywood preferred a referendum on gay rights to the coronation of a prodigal son.

Missing a perfect night by what was probably only a handful of votes is frustrating, but knowing I beat Nate Silver (6/8) and my wife (5/8) cushions the blow. The big winners tonight besides Penn: 'Slumdog Millionaire', Danny Boyle, Kate Winslet, Penelope Cruz, Dustin Lance Black, and Simon Beaufoy. The biggest loser was Rourke, but the most acclaimed role of your career can never really be considered a "loss".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the sense from your oscar previews that your initial misgivings on Slumdog were disproved. Can we expect a review in the future?

Josh von Awesome III said...

I haven't had much time to write lately (job searching is a bitch), so I doubt I'll do a SLUMDOG review, but I was definitely won over. It wasn't my type of movie, and I thought there were a couple of way-over-the-top moments which didn't really work, but I couldn't help but enjoy the experience. Despite my best efforts, my heart was, in fact, warmed. It wasn't my favorite film of the year, but it makes the Top 10, and totally get why it won the Oscar.

The Bollywood-type dance number at the end, on the other hand, is another story.