Thursday, February 19, 2009

Giants Diary: The Rites of Spring


In my first baseball post last week, I mentioned a few of the things we'd undoubtedly see around the Giants spring training in near future -- things we see every spring. Already, less than a week later, several have have come to pass:

I wrote: "It means sore hammies, and tendonitis, and various tweaks and turns which will worry me that they'll become the next catastrophic year-ending injury". Within 24 hours, Noah Lowry, who missed all of last year with arm woes, experienced soreness in his shoulder. Now he says he's doing much better, but until he takes part in an organized game -- something he hasn't done in about 18 months -- I'm not expecting anything from him this year.

I wrote: "we will soon be deluged with reports out of Scottsdale about the dazzling skills and bright futures of some Giants prospects as well as the always-popular "He's in the best shape of his life" and "Last year's bad season was actually die to an unreported injury" stories."

Today, MLB.com Giants beatwriter Chris Haft obliges, with both a story about the triumvirate of young infield prospects vying for the starting 2B job, and another about the "leaner and meaner" story of new Giants SS, Edgar Renteria. Henry Schulman of the Chron also chips in with a "leaner and meaner" piece on Matt Cain.

I'm still waiting for a good "unreported injury" story. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: