Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Movie Review: 'Frost/Nixon'


This is the part where I act like an authority on entertainment, and criticize the work of professionals who are, without exception, more successful than I in the industry in which we both work. Some people would say this is proof I have "balls", or "chutzpah" in Jewspeak. Others would say it's proof I'm a "douchebag". To catch up on any old reviews, you can find the link on the right hand side of the page, or just click here.

Growing up, I always knew who David Frost was, but I never knew quite why. He was just someone people interviewed every once in a while on TV. And whenever anyone did, they always asked about Richard Nixon. Since I was a kid, I didn't watch long enough to find out anything more than he had interviewed Nixon once. And, somehow, through the years, I never learned much more than that. So it was with that almost total ignorance of the background of 'Frost/Nixon' that I saw the movie.

Of course, I knew Richard Nixon had been President. I knew about Watergate. "I am not a crook". The resignation. The pardon. All that jazz. But I had never seen a single clip of the Frost/Nixon interviews, nor had I seen screenwriter/playwright Peter Morgan's play of the same same name, which premiered in 2006. Morgan adapted the play for the screen, turning what what essentially a two-man production into a ensemble. Added are minor characters in each man's camp, and a framing device in the form of periodic snippets of documentary-style interviews. These elements are a bit hit-and-miss, as opposed to the rock-solid core of the film -- the two leads.

Frank Langella reprises his role as Nixon, the role which won him a Tony Award for the stage version. Langella's superb performance springs from his decision to eschew a impersonation in favor of an interpretation. Rather than mimic a literal imitation of Nixon' shaky jowls and outsized personal ticks, and focus more on the essence of the man. After all, Langella doesn't look like Nixon -- and he's at least four inches taller -- but he's able to nail the toxic mix of arrogance and insecurity which made Nixon such a fascinating character. And by the end, he manages to make Nixon a sympathetic figure.

Michael Sheen plays Frost, a lightweight British TV personality, who bought his way into an exclusive interview with the disgraced ex-President. Sheen also hits the mark on his subject as well, perfectly capturing Frost's pompous charm as well as the small fire inside to advance past his current station. As the film progresses, he allows that fire to burn brighter and brighter until Frost is forced to become an actual journalist, playing at the highest level, against a legendary foe. Sheen has made a habit of playing historical figures in political films written by Morgan -- previously, he played former British Prime Minister Tony Blair in both 'The Deal', 'The Queen'. Recently, he signed on to complete the Morgan/Blair Triple Crown.

Sure-handed, populist director Ron Howard allows his actors time to play off one another. There are long pauses in their dialogues, reaction shots, and a theatrical pace to their scenes together. Another director might have made it a bit more far-reaching, a bit more unique, but Howard does what he does best -- tell a straight-forward story without getting too bogged down with stylish nuance. And while this film won't wow too many people, it's far better than the mess Oliver Stone might've turned in. (What am I saying? Stone already turned in that mess.)

The second act takes on the Frost/Nixon interviews from 1977, making it its main focus, and this section is the strength of the film. Highlights include the banter between the men, the glimpses of Nixon humor, and the behind-the-scenes machinations of Team Frost as they attempt to take down Nixon on camera. Nixon's competitive nature turns the interviews into a verbal duel of the electronic age, the likes of which had never been seen. After more Americans watched the tapes than had ever seen a news program in history, it began a trend of celebrity tell-all interviews which still exist. (And which made Barbara Walters a millionaire.) It's a battle of wits, each man with a whole lot riding on the outcome, which both of them agree can have only one winner.

As Frost's inability to pin Nixon down early on raises tensions, and Nixon's competitiveness raises the stakes, the film is at its most watchable. Frost's need to dedicate himself and Nixon's self-destructive bent are both illuminating and enthralling subplots. The high point of the film for me was a late night phone call between the two late in the second act. Speaking alone, with no prying eyes or ears, both men disarmed, as it were.

The weak link in the chain is the thread which runs throughout, used to hold frame the entire story -- the present time documentary-style footage. It's a familiar crutch and doesn't really move the story forward. The supporting cast, however, is a strength. Sam Rockwell is great as James Reston, Jr., an emotional force of nature who lights that fire under Frost, pushing him to take on Nixon full bore. Oliver Platt is Bob Zelnick, another member of Team Frost. Kevin Bacon is Jack Brennan, a member of Team Nixon. Rebecca Hall is Frost's main squeeze.

'Frost/Nixon' is a solid piece of filmmaking, which offends nobody, and entertains everybody. But it's not a masterpiece. It's the Best Picture (though a nomination wouldn't surprise me. I guess you could say, I like it, but I don't like like it. For instance, I haven't been able to stop thinking about 'Benjamin Button' since I saw it, and I might want to see it again. This film, I might see again, sometime down the road on cable. 'Button' I might see in the next couple of weeks.* In other words, I might need to consider revising my scoring system as not all "HIGHLY RECOMMEND's" are created equal. As it is, it's that good -- no more, no less.

Using the age-old Hollywood scale of judgment -- HIGHLY RECOMMEND/RECOMMEND/CONSIDER/PASS (circle one) -- I rate 'Frost/Nixon':

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

* Part of this is because, like 'Frost/Nixon', I saw 'Button' on an Academy screener. And even though I have a large, widescreen TV and surround sound, I think the amazing visual wizardry of 'Button' needs to be witnessd on a big screen.

No comments: