Thursday, January 15, 2009

Link Dump


So, I mentioned in my Top 10 list of movies from '08 that I hadn't yet seen 'Slumdog Millionaire'. It's quickly ascended to the top of the Oscar candidates, but I haven't even tried to see it, because I've heard a couple of takes on it, and am pretty sure I'd hate it. I know, everybody's raving about it -- it's the feel-good, heartwarming, tear-jerking, blah, blah, blah -- but from the sound of the plot, and a description of the storytelling techniques, I knew it wasn't my cup of tea. That's why I didn't feel bad making my Top 10 list without seeing the movie likely to walk away with "Best Picture".

That original take was only solidified when I read Film Drunk's review today, which basically says everything I'd heard, imagined, and feared about the movie. It outlines some specific issues I already had with the movie, the general feeling of absurdity, cliche, and self-satisfaction I expected, and even a couple more weaknesses I hadn't heard of/imagined. I'll probably see the movie eventually -- I'll be in Boulder soon, without much to do, and have already seen all the good movies coming out across the country this month -- but more out of morbid curiosity than eagerness.

Today, Film Drunk also posted review of 'The Wrestler, making me feel bad I didn't call it the best film of the year, which it just might be. Every time I read another review of it, I'm again amazed to think about how great Mickey Rourke's performance was. If he doesn't win the Oscar, I hope he puts whoever does in a Figure Four Leglock a la Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake.

While were talking about movies and dropping links, here's Rotten Tomatoes' Top 10 Sci-Fi Flicks for the Thinking Man. Some good ones on this list, including a couple you don't hear talked about much -- 'Gattaca' and 'Primer' -- along with the more usual suspects -- 'Children of Men' and 'Blade Runner'.

Lastly, I'm headed off to Boulder early next week, so the posting may not be too regular for a while. We'll see how it goes, but I'll be juggling a job, the completion of the script I'm working on, and my football column (at least through the Super Bowl), all while staying at a friend's place, so it could be spotty at best. Then again, I may have to get online to rant about driving cross-country (well, halfway across anyway), or living in snow, or how nice the people outside of LA are, so you never know.

Right now, the biggest issue is that I can't find my favorite album -- Radiohead's 'The Bends' -- for the road trip. I've uploaded all my other CD's to iTunes (finally joining the 21st century), but can't find it anywhere. Was it stolen? Lost? Taken by CD fairies? Did I loan it to someone? I can't make it 1,000 miles on the open road without it, so if I lent it to you, this is the time to return it. My sanity is at stake.

That's it for now. See you when I see you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope the move's going well!

What do you think of the nominees this year? The selections, particularly for best picture/director, seemed to leave alot of people underwhelmed.

Kevin