Monday, April 6, 2009

Opening Day... Sort Of


It's only opening day, and I'm already struggling to get in my promised daily post about baseball. This is true for two reasons: 1) I finally got a job* -- and a damn well-paying one at that -- and today was first day, so I'm very tired, and 2) The Giants didn't play today, and most of the teams which did, played to blowouts. And the most interesting matchup on opening day -- Red Sox vs. Rays -- was rained out. It just as well -- I would've missed all the action anyway, while at work. I won't be working completely full time, though, and will be able to make my own flexible hours (Hooray!), so I'll still be able to catch all the Giants games (live or on TiVo), plus a lot of other games this season. That's the good news.

The bad news is, the Giants might not play for awhile. They're scheduled to play tomorrow, but Andrew Baggarly (and everyone else) is predicting rain, so who knows. The only thing worse than not playing on opening day is following that with a rainout -- or worse, a long rain-delay, which could waste a Tim Lincecum start.

The best game from today was probably the crazy comeback in St. Louis, where brand new closer Jason Motte blew his first save chance. The most interesting performance probably belonged to C.C. Sabathia, who got smoked in Baltimore. Mark Texiera also took a collar and left five men on base. Think the Yanks fans are already getting heated on the talk shows about those contracts?

* I still have lots of things from my job search I'd like to write about. Hopefully, I'll still have the time now that it's over for awhile (knock on wood)

MORALLY OUTRAGED UPDATE: According to the excellent El Lefty Malo, the only reason the Giants didn't play on opening day is because they chose to have one more exhibition game. Why schedule yet another spring training game at the end of the longest exhibition season ever? For money of course. And let me tell you, without an ounce of irony, that I am shocked -- shocked! -- that a major baseball owner would place the pursuit of money above the enjoyment of the fans.

No comments: